The 9th annual SciMathMN STEM Day at the State Fair, Minnesota’s annual celebration of all things STEM will again open the Great Minnesota Get Together, Thursday, August 23, 2018. Last year over 13,000 fair goers visited Dan Patch park to enjoy a broad variety of hands-on activities in robotics, aeronautics and aerospace, programming, modern manufacturing, health care, and other STEM fields. The event attracts a wide variety of fair goers with a growing number of families coming the first day of the fair specifically to attend STEM Day. Groups wishing to apply to be an exhibitor can apply here. In considering your organizations application please consider the following selection criteria.
First Priority will be given to organizations which meet the following criteria (listed in order of importance):
1. Organization’s mission and purpose pertain to and are based in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
2. Organizations that are willing to collaborate and share exhibit space (if needed).
3. Organizations that provide a hands-on, STEM-based activity focused on children and youth.
4. Organizations from outside the Twin Cities metro area.
5. Organizations new to the STEM Day event.
6. Demonstrated goals to target audience.
7. Appropriateness of planned activity.
8. Organization’s ability to underwrite their activity.
Other factors that influence the committee’s decision:
1. Non-profits must be registered in the state of Minnesota.
2. For-profit companies and organizations are restricted from conducting commercial operations by State Fair policy.
3. Sponsorship of STEM Day.
4. Organizations have a mechanism for community engagement in STEM or a record of volunteer service to the community in STEM activities.
5. Date of submission of the application
Exhibitors are asked to have demonstrations and interactive events centering around one or more of these topics:
– Activities for children/parents outside of school (or perhaps school field trips)
– Promoting STEM activities in school – providing programs or support in advancing STEM
– Career, College and beyond – education and employment opportunities in STEM fields.
The deadline for application submissions is Tuesday, May 1, 2018. Exhibitors selected will be notified in early June.